Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Haiti- Boys Orphanage

After lunch on the second day, we headed out to the orphanage. We had a few gentlemen in our group that were focusing on making improvements in the buildings. Painting, repairing the chicken coops, future expanding are several things on the list for future projects. One of our main goals is to establish a relationship/partnership with Faith Lutheran Church and the orphanage it supports. While some went to the Haiti version of home depot, some of us stayed to play!

They were all very interested in their visitors. Our translator Enock stayed with us. This little boy came up to me right away. He looked to be about 2 or 3 years old. He put his hands up to let me know he wanted to be held. He didn't anything else but to be held. He only wore boxers and they barely fit is little frame. His name was Li'Son son. While I held him, I asked the oldest who was 23 to give me a tour. After insisting he was too shy (translated through Enock) I begged him to show me around.

Each room had it's own building. The kitchen and an empty room to watch a small TV. Then, we moved to the dining room and the place where the caregiver sleeps. There were 2, if I remember correctly, toilets. They looked like cement wells with small holes to take care of business. The showers were like camping showers, mostly large and tiled in. I commented that their shower was bigger than mine! Then, they showed me the sleeping quarters. There were bunk beds that kept 3 in each bunk and 2 bunks to a room. They have an empty concrete room set aside for playing. The lot is just empty. No toys. Goats and chickens, and even a dog. The dog recently had puppies!

That's where I saw the blessing!!!! Right before my very eyes was a mosquito net!! I used one this morning in VBS not realizing that they knew what it was. They had one for each bunk that spreads over all three beds. Protecting them at night!! How amazing is that! On our last day three more boys were taken in at this orphanage. We, our congregation, donated this net to protect these boys at night. Wow, who knew that we would be able to bless on the spot like that. I saw that kind of giving first hand!!

These boys are taken in after being abandoned and mothers who cannot provide for them at all. They are fed 3 meals a day. (I mentioned be for the average Haiti-including children-eats a full meal every other day. They have cooks. They have play clothes in very poor condition but at least 1 clean outfit for church or other special occasions such as VBS. They receive a medical and dental check up every year. They do not have malaria.

They love to play. Language barriers did not really matter. Derek taught them how to play gaga ball. It's like dodge ball, sort of. Some played marbles, some played soccer, most wanted to play slaps. Boy, were that good at that!! Some hit so hard we had to back out of a game.

Eventually I had to put Li' Son Son down and we headed out. We would be seeing them again in the morning for VBS.

slaps
gaga ball
This little boy asked me to take his
picture. So, he posed for it/




Gaga ball

Enock verses Olivia
Derek attemps to win at slaps


Enock and Georgia battle it out
We closed that night with dinner and devotionals as we debriefed about what we saw. I just kept thinking mostly those boys wanted attention, someone to play with, and some just simply needed to be  held. I could have carried Li' Son Son for ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment