Thursday, July 22, 2010

Why do I homeschool?

We decided to home school two years ago. We are now on our third year. We are asked all the time, "why?". Well, JD and Georgia both started out in private school, a really good one. After lots of prayer we decided that I would be a stay-at-home mom. I'm not totally against public school, my oldest is in public high school. But we absolutely disagree with a lot of the public school system- I'll go into that another time. We believe we can give them a quality education at home while they are young. This gives us lots of time to teach them morals and christian values. It is an honor to be their teacher and see the blessings of their learning personally. I taught them to read, write, add, subtract, multiply, and so on! I will cherish that forever. I realize not everyone can or feels the desire to home school, I feel blessed to do it. In the future we will probably put them back in school-private school. My goal is to keep them home until middle school. We feel like we are setting a great foundation. Derek is doing great in high school! I still have plenty of the same issues about public school with his age but we work around it and he is old enough and mature enough to work through it with us. He loves school and we are proud of him and his accomplishments!

Yesterday I finally started to get organized for this next school year!This was a great feeling! I got all my cirriculum organized and made a list of supplies that we need. We do have the blessing of reusing our supplies but I still like to stock up when everything is on sale. I try to stay as organized as possible. Every homeschooler has their own way of doing things. I like to have a routine. Although summer is a great break, I really look forward to a routine again!

I have the best kids and feel blessed by God!

2 comments:

  1. I have so much respect for you for doing this, and I know that the benefits for the entire family will last forever.

    Good luck on the upcoming year!

    ReplyDelete